Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

It really hasn't been the same...

Was reading a review of this year's MTV VMAs on Billboard.com

"There were no snakes, lesbian kisses or bizarre appearances by Michael Jackson. Instead, MTV played it safe at the 2006 Video Music Awards, held last night (Aug. 31) at New York's Radio City Music Hall."

Notice something here? Snakes (Britney at 2001 VMAs performing Slave), lesbian kisses (Britney and Madonna at the 2003 VMAs) and bizarre apperance by Wacko (who Britney introduced at the 2002 VMAs, along with that hilarious Artist of the Millennium nonsense). I haven't bothered much with the VMAs since 2004 (the year Toxic was the only female and pop video nominated for video of the year yet somehow managed to lose both best female and best pop video). The show has basically lost that sparkle it once had, the guilty pleasure of many who relished the sheer irreverance and outrageous antics of the whole affair. It's now become like any other awards show really, and unlike the Grammys or even the AMAs, there is little prestige in one of those damn moonmen. It counts for nothing really. Bring back Britney (and in real life, not some lame video skit with that idiot of a husband), and you bring back some of the excitement. But I fear that it may already be too late...

Anyyway last night was The Devil Wears Prada which was really a good show. I mean, I read the book and of course a book is going to be better than the movie. Thing about books is that it leaves everything to the imagination of the reader. One builds up your own Andrea and Miranda, the minimalist-white offices of Runway magazine, the sequences of Andrea hurrying all over Manhattan and Paris to satisfy the insatiable demands of her boss. Of course most people would be more inclined to that than a director's interpretation of the book, imposing his vision onto your own. And of course a book provides greater opporunity for plot and character development, which is sacrificed to make a 2 hour movie.

Having said all that, I think the director interpreted the book wonderfully. The changes made to the storyline were somewhat significant, but in the context of a movie it all played out very nicely. Nothing makes me more excited than images of the bustling streets of Manhattan, along with MADONNA for audio accompaniment. Are you ready to jump?

Meryl was sensational and reminded me why she is the most nominated actress in the history of the academy awards. It wasn't an over-the-top, caricature of a performance that must have been tempting to portray, especially when you consider the novel. It was subtle and understated, yet took away none of the terror from the character. One day, we are all going to have to make that decision between our career and our own personal lives. It may not be the most original topic but none of us can run away from it (when I say us I mean people with ambition of course). You might be Andrea and eventually decide not to make those sometimes selfish (and sometimes selfless) decisions for the sake of your career. I might be Miranda and conciously make tough and unpopular decisions in order to climb that damn ladder. Who's to judge and say which is better? I've always had a very simple mantra. You make the decision, you live with the consequences. At the end of the day, we're all human, after all.

There was this really funny conversation at Subway on Thursday. For some reason which I cannot recall, we started talking about yeast infections. About the yucky discharges and moist conditions that lead to yeast festering. And Meng was like, how does a woman get a yeast infection? Does she stick bread into her VV? Zooch just couldn't stop laughing la. La la la. I despise my local accent. I really can't fathom why, with my strictly English-only upbringing, I occasionally speak like some cheena secondary school girl discussing the latest cheena pop band. Give me my CHANNEL bag and my HERPES scarf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home