Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Happy Taboo

In fashion, one day you're in, the next day you're out. I suppose it's appropriate that on the gay clubbing scene, the same concept is evident. One year ago, Happy was the toast of the town. The queue outside was excruciatingly long, the dancefloor (indeed the whole club in general) was packed. Taboo was dying a slow, painful death. The whole placed seemed drab, the floor was empty, there were less people there than there were watching Glitter a week into it's screening.

Last night we waltzed into a spacious (ie not crowded) Happy where you could actually feel the draft of the AC (ie not crowded) and could walk from one part to another without ever brushing against anyone (ie pathetically not crowded). In comparison, we had to wait for some time before gaining re-entry into Taboo even though we were on the VIP list. The whole club was packed to the brim, you couldn't move 2 feet without colliding into another person, and it was stuffy as hell. How appropriate.

I'm not well-aquainted with what exactly happened to bring about this dramatic turn of events. One of the Happy DJs left for Attica (where Sunday nights are HOT apparently), but how did Happy and Taboo experience this role-reversal in under a year. The fickle nature of gay people I suppose. Which probably explains why fashion is so whimsical too. We're a very capricious bunch la. Perhaps that is a contributory factor to the trend of gay people being generally unhappy. Evangelical types spare the preaching, and go pray for hypocrites of your own kind like Mel Gibson. I really have nothing (much) against Christianty (I still do consider myself Christian, no matter how much the Church may reject me). It's those damn people preaching from their self-improvised moral high ground that really pisses me off.

Anyway, last night was more fun than I've had in some time, althouh I actually had someone come up to me and tell me to 'relax' and not look so tense. WR says that I always look bored. It's the music. Give me a hot song like Hung Up, Push The Button or Intuition (and Kate Moss has found LOTS of jobs so HA) and I can just lose myself and dance like a lunatic. Play crappy songs without vocals or Pussycatdoll garbage and I'll either just pretend to be moving or fold my hands and people watch. And what a bunch of people there are to watch! There was this really psyco guy last night who was basically dancing on the podium the entire time. He was NOT hot, terribly dressed, and had the most awkward dance moves ever. Towards the end of the night as we were dancing in front of him, he suddenly crouched down and gave this look that can only be described as Bambi gone crazy. It was very scary.

You know I go out to club every Saturday night and yeah I have a good time. But I never seem to be approached by anyone even unremarkably decent. I don't know if it's the way I look (it probably is) or the way I appear (bored, tense whatever). For now it's fine la. But when Meng and WR do leave *sobs*, I go back to square one if I don't do anything about it soon. To be honest I don't exactly know what to do about it la. What can I do if people simply aren't attracted to me? Surgerly lor. Haha.

At MOX last night was talking with WR while Meng mysteriously disappeared to the toilet for a suspiciously long time. He doesn't really know what he's looking for either. Or, to be more exact, he longs for different things at different times. A stable relationship on one hand, a serial monogamist on the other, or just plain slutty sex sometimes. It's something that I think all of us have to reflect on at one time or other, and now's probably the best time to do it. We're going to be married to our careers in the future. If we don't sort this out now, we simply won't have the time (or energy) to do so when we're more grown up. God I hate growing up.

People are cynical. I hope I never go to those kind of extremes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home