Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Hair, Where?

I love the monthly haircut. Mainly because I get to recline in the washing chair while someone lathers my hair with pleasant smelling lotions and proceeds to massage the various points of my cranium. It's one of those opportunities to just lie back in languor while enjoying the soothing rhythm of those hands rubbing and prodding. The best wash I've had so far was at Next in Holland Village. It was 10 serious minutes of pampering and the decor's rather chic. But I wasn't fond of the cut and well, isn't that what we look for when deciding on a good salon?

So today I found myself at Urban Hair by Ginrich, repeating old rituals.

"Hi, I'm here to cut."
"Ok...do you have an appointment?"
"No."
"Is this your first time here?"
"Yes."

It always seems to be my first time because I can't settle on any particular salon. None of the cuts have really wow-ed me. Maybe it's just my godawful hair la. I suppose you could call me a salon whore because I have made the rounds. The thing about being the newbie is that you always seem to get the youngest and most inexperienced stylists. If they knew any better, they would actually give you a good one so that you would be more inclined to come back the next time, but I digress...

Sadly, my hairstylist had a very...apologetic way of washing and cutting hair. When it came to the massage, he was basically not using ANY strength la! A weak poke here, a feeble prod there. It was almost as if my face were made of some fragile material and would crack if he applied any strength. Likewise, he almost seemed SORRY to have to cut my hair, as if each snip of the scissors was removing strands of cashmere from my scalp. I wasn't particularly fond of the result. It seemed more of a TRIM than a haircut. Bugger.

I proceeded to Cali and when Wei Ren saw me he was rather surprised by my haircut. He said it was the best style he'd seen on me! Whee! Peer approval should never be underestimated. Especially approval from someone with very high standards when it comes to just about everything...I think it's all in the styling really. Exactly how much can one $29 haircut differ from another? It's in the way you style the finished product, which I unfortunately am quite useless at.

Another thing about the whole experience that I enjoy is that feeling that you are starting on a fresh page. With each lock of hair that falls, the weight of the past seems to follow suit. It provides some sense of renewal. A rebirth if you will, and I ain't talking 'bout that FLOP album here...

While we're on the topic of revival, the latest Roberto Cavalli ads featuring the indomitable Kate Moss are out...and they're FABULOUS! There are 12 of them so I'm just going to post 4 favourites.
I love how the billowly, ethereal dress is brought down to earth by the bangles. Kate looks stunning!

I've always been a fan of Cavalli designs. They're unique without being over the top like Galliano couture. You can actually visualize a FIERCE, independent woman wearing these clothes to work or brunch or the art gallery...

I love this one. Kate looks like some modern day goddess. Cocaine addicts everywhere have found salvation in their deity! Kidding.

Kate Moss is an inspiration to anyone who's down and out. Splashed across the covers of tabloids one year, splased across the pages of Vogue the next! Of course this is the fashion industry la. ANYWAY I have to get ready for a PUBLIC AFFAIR with the gang! Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home