Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Monday, October 09, 2006

The Best Is Yet To Be

A very apt motto indeed. ACS (Independent) has never been content to stay the same for very long. Change has been the only constant here. During my four years, I witnessed what I then thought to be dramatic transformations - the airconditioning and refurnishing of our bird shit infested refectory (indeed the name itself suggested some gloomy room with factory-style tables and benches), turning it into what can best be described as a glossy food court with televisions and pointless potted plants, along with a snazzier sounding appellation; replacement of our painted walls with small coloured ceramic tiles, which we initially found to be most hideous because they reminded us of toilet interiors, but in retrospect were rather unique once you got used to them; the whole Cyber-AC affair (making us the first school in Singapore to actually have a cybercafe), and many other smaller details.

But none of that could prepare me for the massive changes that greeted me when I returned to the alma mater a few months ago. Of course, there was the comfort of the familiar. The stately clock tower presiding over Dover Road (pictured above), the large, double-storied auditorium, site of weekly chapel services and countless special events, and the sheer majesty of 4 levels of classrooms overlooking the flagpoles and open space that formed what I felt to be the physical core of the school.
Note: I realise I've posted this picture previously but I suppose it won't hurt to do so again to give people a visual representation of what I'm trying to describe. I recall coming in late one Monday (actually in Sec 4 I was late rather frequently, and they were surprisingly lenient about it - once when I was sneaking into school around 10am I even bumped into the principal), opening the blue door on the far end, and have the entire 2nd level look up and stare.

A preview of what was in store greeted me when I realised that another class had taken over the physical room that used to be 4.11 Stephen. Which wasn't that big of a deal really because my classroom was still there, it just had different occupants. Walking down those corridors was really a walk down memory lane. Some were great, others awful. I had this sense of great pride, and also of loss. I had lost something which was never coming back again. And I'm not talking about my virginity here.

Having explored the past, it was time to embrace the present. Michael and I took the walk over to the new campus. It was really a shock to the system. I could hardly believe I was in the same ACS (I). When viewed from afar, the new building sort of displaced the clock tower as the centre of the school. It really led to a realignment of the physical dynamics, if I'm making any sense. I did appreciate the tribute to the old campus by way of the classrooms being arranged in a curved manner. It's always been one of the more distinct architectural features of the school. But everything else felt dead to me. It was a beautiful campus, no doubt about that. I felt left in the cold because I had no memories there. It wasn't the AC that I knew simply because it didn't exist when I was still wearing that white shirt and navy blue bermudas. I'm sure that those who are lucky enough to study there will have many fond recollections when they return in the future. I didn't. Couldn't!

We headed for the new administrative offices (this being AC (I), it was really a given that the senior admin would take the opportunity of a new campus to build spanking new premises for themselves too), which looked more like the top floor of some big multinational. Michael actually GASPED aloud when he saw Drong's office. When Michael Ang gasps aloud, you KNOW that it really is a sight to behold. Nice leather chairs and plush carpeting!

Having seen the future, we were ready to go back to what we knew of the school. AC was having some sports day (on a Saturday no less, so much for the 5-day week huh), and everyone was assembled at the track. Saw a few old teachers and talked to a couple of them. I never really knew a whole bunch of teachers, but I trust that those who I do won't forget me too easily. Chew Kah Wai was unrelenting in her quest for donations, and I have yet to get back to her =p. Yong Lee Har was less aggressive (she had already gotten money from me a while back anyway) but I don't really recall our conversation. Han Kok Peng, my dear Chinese teacher, was the most friendly, chatting away loudly and incessantly. She was very welcoming, inviting us to grab a bite from the buffet (meant for staff only of course) and even getting me drinks. I was asking her about what I should do in university and she advocated taking Law because her niece was doing that and still had enough time to play mahjong. How very logical. We stayed for the teacher's race although I didn't recognise half of them. Lots of cute juniors too =p

I haven't been back since then. Many people think of AC guys as arrogant and elitist, but it's really hard to understand the culture unless you have experienced it for yourself. I was only in the AC family for 4 years, far less than some of my peers, but that experience left an indelible impression on me, and helped to shape the person I am today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home