Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Hours

I just watched this a few...well...hours ago and felt it was a really thought-provoking show. Definitely one you can watch multiple times. How far are people willing to go to achieve what they feel will be happiness? Mrs Brown (Julianne's character) chose to leave her family and got a job at a library in Canada. And years later when she looked back, she found it too easy and convenient to meekly declare that she regretted selfishly deserting her husband and young children. I interpret that to mean that well...she really HAD no regrets. She paid a high price no doubt. But she basked in the light at the end of a dark tunnel. Anoter interesting question is whether the happiest moments of our life are in our youth? Are they? If so, that would justify my constant fretting over growing old. But seriously, who is to say that we cannot have those happiest moments in our 40s 50s 60s or even beyond? It is unlikely admittedly. It's funny that the three women are all bisexual. Of course Clarissa (played by the FABULOUS Meryl Streep-the reason I bought the DVD), was the most open regarding her sexuality. She lived with her partner Sally, and they'd been together for ten years. Let's not forget that her time period was 2001, so I guess that is to be expected. Both Virginia and Laura could never be as free with their feelings, although both locked lips with other women (in Virginia's case her own sister...eww). But who am I to judge? I guess lesbianism in those days was a lot easier when it was incestous. Another question to ponder-is suicide the next best alternative to happiness? If we're perpetually living under a cloud of gloom and doom, might it be better to actually end it all once and for all by taking our lives? Because we DO have control over it. Of course I'm not considering religion and the Christian consequences of taking one's own life etc etc. I can almost hear my mum nagging about how I must not be a Christian because I choose to discount religion in the course my pondering. It has been a long time since I've watched this type of movie that really makes you question your very existance and the meaning of life. I totally identify with a lot of the themes really. The eternal pursuit of happiness, what happiness really is (it doesn't always involve doing the "right" thing), whether it is perennial or ephemeral, youth and aging, the feeling of living an empty life, the burden of having to repress oneself and so much more. Wow. It's just got so much depth. And I think Meryl is seriously one of the best actresses in this generation. Nicole and Julianne are great too. Ok. Enough of all this self reflection and "depth". Time to sit back and enjoy JESSICA SIMPSON performing THESE BOOTS! Woo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home