Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Inaugurate Me

So today was the first official day of school, although frankly I could have missed it and wouldn't have been any the poorer. By the time I got to the auditorium, I was the LAST person from my now-expanded OG to reach, hastily paid the $36 orientation fee (which I now regret doing) and joined my OG mates, many of whom were wholly unfamiliar, to participate in the ceremony.

The highlight was probably the Dean's speech. Jinesh was spot-on in saying that he sounded almost paternal, and that if he wasn't a professor he may well have been a pastor. That calming, measured, nurturing, do-me-proud kind of voice. His speech had 7 points and to be honest, I can't really remember much of it now. Being practical, yet adhering to the strict moral code expected of an officer of the court. Sounds very idealistic. And the need for humility...admittedly something I could use more of.

What made an indelible impression was his statement that law doesn't exist in a vacuum. It is an expression of the values and mindset of society. Which is to say that, for example, slavery used to be perfectly legal before the 18th century (indeed, up to the time of the Civil War in the States), but of course is now illegal as society considers it to be morally wrong and repugnant. He went on to say that as Singapore opens up and becomes more liberal, the laws will change to reflect that.

I could be making a severe misjudgment here, but I couldn't help but think he was referring to 377A. Take that TLA! (side note, they introduced the other professors to us freshmen and I was waiting with bated breath to lay my eyes on the two noted homophobes, but they sadly were not present...neither was the noted lesbian, which inevitably brought up the question...)

Of course, you could argue that Singapore society still considers homosexuality to be morally wrong and deviant, and that the laws should therefore reflect that...and I really would not be able to disagree with you. By and large, your average heartland Singaporean - and, unfortunately, many people who have had the benefit of education yet remain disconcertingly narrow-minded and myopic - probably doesn't wish to see the cause of gay rights advanced.

The Dean concluded by looking at his watch and saying that he believed it was "cruel and unusual punishment" for us to have to listen to him speak for too long, and that he would end there. I appreciated this joke. I wonder how many people actually got it.

Which does bring me to a small point I was discussing with Jinesh. Or rather, I was just indulging in a moment of self-introspection. While I may look at others and lament their narrow, Singapore-centric, frog-in-the-well outlook, I think I'm unhealthily at the other end of the scale. I think it's great that I care about current affairs, global geo-politics, and have such an international, globalised perspective, but I think I may be taking this too far for my own good. It's not intentional really. It's just that most local events bore me to death. But it is kind of sad how I take so much interest in what's happening in other countries (Ok mostly America) but frankly care very little for most of what happens on this island that has been home for the past 21 years.

Anyway, met a lot of familiar faces there. Introduced myself to Keith Han when I saw him in the toilet, said hello to Navin Naidu, talked to Keith Oh for a while...also saw Mark Teng and Elroy but I don't exactly know them so I didn't say anything.

Funny tidbit. This Indian girl saw me and exclaimed "Hi Simon! You're here too!" So I went "Oh hello, yeah", all the while thinking "who the hell is this and how the fuck does she know who I am?" After running out of things to say without revealing the fact that I had no clue as to who she was, I excused myself and told Christine about it. Turns out that mystery girl was from RGS too and Christine told me her name. And then I finally realised who she was and how I met her. Honestly could not recognise her.

After everything was over - including a fake lecture a la night court, which most of us who had attended law camp caught on to in less than 5 minutes - Jinesh drove us to Orchard. Was in the car with two of his OG mates who seem like very nice people...to be honest most of the people I've met are pleasant. Of course, I'm sure all the Mean Girls-esque nonsense will only start to show when we've all settled in and feel secure enough to start bitching, but hey, I'm more than prepared for that, although I don't really want to take part in the whole gossip-drama scene that I've heard some students in law school have a proclivity for. As Eve raps, "Pop another bottle for them, keep my life moving, NO TIME FOR THE DRAMA, watch me blow right through them".

Sitting around drinking coffee at Cine food court - yes what a far cry from Far Coast, which I have been patronizing recently, first with Leonard and Meng on Friday night and then with Gerald and Lena on Sunday night - Jinesh and I were talking about all sorts of things while waiting for Meng.

Went for Tim's Bodypump. There were several times I thought I was going to pass away. Through excessive perspiration or pain in the arms or something.

Drove to Newton Circus where we had great food - well I did at least - and talked some more, and also saw an Ah Meng/LKY lookalike. It was hilarious because it was just on the tip of my tongue but Jinesh said it first. Was laughing like a mad man. Actually I was laughing like a mad man in school just now too. I have to admit that I'm quite pleased with how school looks to be turning out so far. The people. The faculty. The building. It's all very agreeable. Yes I know that this isn't likely to last for too long but I'll enjoy this while it does.

Have to wake up really early tomorrow as I'm previewing Hairspray at Lido and so I shall take my leave. Till another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home