Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Friday, June 08, 2007

We Do What We Must

I've been attempting to try this technique at work. No matter how much the boss irritates me - no, the MORE he gets on my nerves - the higher my resolve to finish what's left of my tenure (which is looking to be end July), the higher my resolve to get as much money from him as possible.

This invovles putting up with occasional nasty phonecalls (including a particularly vitriolic one today where I was basically accused of being negligent in discharging my duties), a litany of complaints via e-mail, and, the cherry on the pie, the return of said boss in slightly more than a week, nicely coinciding with my one week sabbatical to attend law camp. But I'll still have to see - and deal with - him in person eventually, for maybe slightly over a month, if I last that long.

I came into this job with the expectation that I would act more as a guardian than a trailblazer, preserving the brand and quality of the editorials for my successor. Sort of like Carter to Reagan. Which, if you listen to my father's regular ranting whenever he sees the "peanut farmer" on television, isn't exactly a lofty ambition.

To be perfectly honest, I think I've discharged that role pretty well. The quality of editorials has certainly not deteriorated, although it has been occasionally patchy, in terms of hits (who can forget Pitch Black's fucking Plucky Bet, for example).

I haven't tried my best, but I sure as hell have done what I'm paid to do. And you honestly can't expect me to put my heart and soul into a job which I know is just a way to earn some pocket (Europe) money, that requires me to come in a mere 4 hours a day.

And I've enjoyed the freebies, meeting new people and of course all the nonsense with Meng. So yes, I would do it all again, but that's moot isn't it. Right now my focus is on finishing up my term and passing the reins on to the hapless person who happens to take over from me - the job a million boys would die for, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home