Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Big One

Last Friday, Meng and I decided to explore the belly of the beast known as Vivocity once more. We flounced around the beauty department at Tang's, sampling all sorts of fragrances peddled by salespeople who seemed very desperate to make a sale. Granted, salespeople *should* be keen to sell you a product, but those at Tang's Vivocity seem to be cut from a very extreme cloth. One hapless saleslady even hauled out the complimentary trolley bag and was about to demonstrate the wonders of the wheel mechanism before Meng stopped her. Also on sale, these hideous plastic keychains that you could hook onto your waist courtesy of some magnetic system. WOW. Like, that's totally what I've always wanted ya'll! I doubt that poor man will be making a sale anytime soon. Then again, if K Fed can sell 6500 copies of his album, anything's possible really.

There are a profusion of food outlets in Vivocity. Every corner you turn, you'll find something to tempt your palate. Lunch was at this hotdog chain with funky chairs and well, not so funky hotdogs. The bloody thing broke the moment I raised it to my mouth, the sausage and toppings tumbling down in a cascade of grease. Meng rightly observed that while we may import a brand/idea from overseas, the execution and hence results turn out to be decidedly Singaporean more often than not. We had a better experience at Baker's Inn, where I enjoyed the sinfully rich, creamy delight that was my apple strudel. Every now and then, I am grateful that I can pretty much eat anything I want and not have to worry about piling on the pounds, unlike some of my peers.

Headed to the cineplex after brunch for a date with Roddy and Rita, rodents from two different worlds who meet when the former is flushed down the toilet of the plush Kensington residence he calls home and into the sewers of London, where a rodent city very much like a miniature London thrives. It was enjoyable enough I suppose. My favourite line being - You are what the French would call, how to say...'le fruitcake.' Just because baby, just because. I'm not big on the whole animation thing, and from the trailers we saw there look to be quite a number of animated movies headed our way, but I guess once in a while it's nice to watch a pair of rather charming and plucky rodents save the world(as they know it anyway) from catastrophe. Although I would like to know, what happens when the frozen tsunami wave begins to melt? Uh oh.

From rodents to an itch, a seven minute itch to be more precise. Starring the hot(and evidently straight, bummer) Timothy Nga as the wayward boyfriend who has unprotected sex with a stranger and has to face the consequences of his decision. The play did bring up several interesting topics, such as the contract that two people make with each other when they enter a relationship. Do unwritten rules exist or should everything be stated clearly, cards laid out on the table, at the start of a relationship? That's actually a very pertinent question, especially in the gay community where terms such as 'open relationship' and 'committed but play together' are bandied around more frequently. Unfortunately, most of the play seemed more like a Public Service Announcement cum acting workshop, and the whole thing was over in literally seven minutes(ok a little longer than that but I'm trying to make a point here). However, OUR SAMAZOZI SISTA was the first participant in the interactive section! Although he seemed slightly overwhelmed, inadvertently portrayed himself as somewhat slutty, and was generally clueless by the end of the skit, I was SO proud of him! It really isn't easy to go up there in front of a room of strangers and act out a scene you've barely had time to formulate and run through in your head. It was all about being spontaneous and for the first guinea pig of the night, Meng did an admirable job. I applaud your pluck!


We were really hungry and headed to Maxwell for tim sum, egg tarts(that Wei Ren was forcing me to eat) and bean curd ice desert(is that what you call it?) before visiting an old friend we hadn't seen in a while. While Happy wasn't exactly in rude health, it wasn't exactly ailing either. After two jugs of cranberry vodka, multiple flaming lamborghinis and this really cool flame tower thing(that burnt some of Meng's hair in the process), we were high and ready to party! And the music didn't disappoint. Since U Been Gone, Boyfriend, Jump - basically handbag music. We did return a second time and the crowd had thinned considerably, rather like the hair on Prince Charles' head, but it was refreshing to have so much space, to feel the cool chill of the air-conditioning, to be able to move your arms about and not worry about smacking anyone in the face or tits. Miss Lena Chee was WORKIN' IT throughout the night, inflicting her signature urm...half crouch half grind dance move on all 3 of us. The final song in Taboo was most appropriate - Sophie's Take Me Home. Meng was dancing like a loon to the music. It was as if he had been saving all his energy that night for that one song. I won't be with the boys(and bitch) for the next 3 weekends unfortunately, so this last supper was of particular significance.

Sunday night was a sequel to Saturday evening, with the AC gang back in action at Bukit Timah. I don't exactly savour computer games the way I used to, but I don't mind spending a few hours in fantasty land behind a computer screen if that gives me the opportunity to see everyone again. I basicaly floppd at Generals this time round, but next time things are going to be different. I am a veteran after all. You guys ain't seen nothin' yet! Went to KAP for supper after that and had to endure half an hour of straight guy talk which seriously bores the hell out of me more than ever, but at the end of the day it's all worth it.

You know what else is worth it? Crossing the lines that you(or others) draw in life. Sending that damn message. Sending that damn first SMS. Having that first telephone chat. It may be a tad nerve racking initially(especially for someone as insecure as myself), and I really don't know if anything good is going to come out of this, but right now I'm really glad I did. After all, you'll never know if you never try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home