Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Why Don't You Just Slip And Fall Then?

And maybe even die? Once again, organ trading has sprung back into the headlines, and a Doctor wrote into Today opposing legalizing the sale of organs between willing buyers and sellers. Apart from the bare assertion that organ trading is 'dehumanizing', he supported his argument with a slippery slop theory - once we accept trading in kidneys and livers, we may one day accept trading in hearts and brains, even if this means the donor dies and makes what he calls the 'ultimate sacrifice'.

I don't know what to say to this really. Irresponsible fear mongering at its finest. Maybe it irritates me so because the whole slippery slopes nonsense was used in the 377A debates, but the idea that people still put forth this sort of argument and expect to be taken seriously is mind blowing.

Is it a matter of religion? Or adherence to tradition and just plain old resistance to change? I don't know but I don't like it one bit.

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM , Blogger Goretti said...

Hi Simon...

This is Goretti Mohan aka Goretti Pereira...Read you humourous blog entries abt teachers etc and of course abt myself...Now I know...!!!

I am in Melbourne..Have been for the last 6 years...

I can be contacted at Facebook --- goretti pereira or p_goretti@hotmail.com


Nice to hear some familiar names like Michael Ang, Jonathan Siow, Henry Tiong...

Yes, I am still into the class spirit and learning envi thingy...

Take care...Do write...Goretti Pereira

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home