Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Time For Letting Go

Simon left the group HILLARY '08.5:34pm

Simon left the group I Love Criminal Law With Prof Stanley Yeo.5:33pm

Simon left the group hongkong summer love.5:32pm

Simon left the group Barak Obama is the Anti-christ.5:31pm

While not acknowledging that something as frivolous as a Facebook group actually reflects my person, this, my friends, is called letting go. As I told Jinesh yesterday, I would be fine with Obama winning the Presidency (and let's face it, chances are he is going to). This is because I realize the vital role a President plays in selecting justices to the Supreme Court, and having witnessed the recent string of 5-4 decisions, and the victories/losses for the liberals on the judiciary being determined by Justice Kennedy, I cannot bare the though of another Republican appointed judge, as the next appointment will certainly be the tipping point. Poor John Paul Stevens is already 88, and I believe has held on for so long partly because he didn't want to give Bush yet another chance to turn the court over to conservatives. Kennedy and Ginsburg are already in their seventies, and Breyer will be 70 in a few months time (why oh why did Clinton appoint such old judges to the bench?) - ie if we have a Republican President for even the next 4 years, the probability that they will finally get to control the court and reverse decades of precedent and social progress will be great. And I just cannot fathom that happening. Thus, much as I despise Obama and continue to believe that Clinton is the far stronger candidate, perhaps I won't be so upset at the end of the year, when Blue finally reclaims 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

As Democrats, we must stand united.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home