Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

SATC, Again

To celebrate Lena's birthday, I figured I'd bring her out to watch a movie, and what better movie for two star-crossed lovers to watch than Sex and the City? Tickets booked, I met her at Topshop (where she bought a top with 2 sparrows) and surprised her with the news. At least, I'd like to think I surprised her.

So we made our way to GV Grand at Great World City (yes WTF goes to Great World City, so bloody outta the way) and sat in the theatre for around 3 hours (we watched a 'special edition' of SATC with extended footage - read the kind of 'extras' they tack onto DVDs - which they showed BEFORE the actual movie thus partially SPOILING it for those who had not already seen it. Of course, I was not one of those so that didn't matter).

For all the talk of marginal utility, I actually really enjoyed watching the movie again, albeit being able to leave for a quick toilet break *gasp* during the actual show - and the part at which I left at is pretty indicative of my least favorite scene, when Carrie was having her Mexicoma and just lying in bed like a spoilt brat ingrate (there Jin, I said it!). And bar the Louis(e) troika, the hideous LV bag and the corny LOVE keychain nonsense, the whole thing was really enjoyable.

Samantha Jones is one hot sexy mama.

So after 3 glamorous hours in Manhattan, what did the Chee and I do? We went to a SUPERMARKET. CARREFOUR at Plaza Sing. To buy PANDAN CAKES for her kids. Those you find in those flimsy, transparent plastic containers. LOTS OF THEM AT 3 DOLLARS A POP. It was so surreal I tell you, me balancing the tower of cakes, telling her to stack on more so that they would cover my face because I was so malu and did not want to be seen. Haha.

We found a basket and put everything inside. Then we had a feast at wadsthatplace Hot Tomato Express. It's funny that the last time I was there, with Jin and Rohai, was before the SATC premiere on Tuesday, and that I found myself back there AFTER watching SATC again.

I doubt I'll be catching the show in theaters again, though it was great to be in a cinema packed with people, laughing at the appropriate time (although I suspect most went for the more slapstick/low-brow humour) and generally appreciating the movie.

And its nice to see audiences in the US (my motherland) showing Sex some love too, as it is expected to smash the box office record for a romantic comedy/movie fronted by females and kick Indiana Jones from the number one spot. America may not be ready to elect a female President (and don't get me started on that) but at least they know how to appreciate a movie that was allegedly meant only for women and gay men.

Meng'll be back in a week, which is great,* can't believe how quickly time has flown. I wish Weiren was coming back too, then we could have a real Samazozi reunion tour. Lena and I were recounting some of our shenanigans, as the fabulous foursome, still as hilarious as ever.

I used to peg us as characters from Sex:
Weiren is def. Samantha, for reasons that need not be elaborated on here.
Lena is Charlotte, sans the Park Avenue apartment (for now) - always the cheerleader for romance, the (relative) prude, the goodey-two-shoes.
I used to peg Meng as Carrie (romantic at heart, 'main star' of the samazozis) and myself as Miranda (no-nonsense lawyer, cynical).

But I think we've each got a bit of the other in us. Me - like Carrie, neurotic and whiny (I'm sure Jin will agree with this wholeheartedly) and yet ENDEARING (HAHA!). Meng - like Miranda, angsty, occasionally grumpy. Haha.

So yeah now I'm not so sure who's who any longer.

Oh 2 funny incidents that happened towards the end of the night.

[Woman comes scurrying up to us as we walk out of the supermarket]
Woman: Do you want the receipts from Carrefour? (obviously going to use it to redeem something or other, the cheapskate)
Lena: Yes
[Woman goes away]
Lena: Actually I don't want them but she had this look on her face which made me not want to give them to her.
Simon: Yes! The damn annoying 'you owe me a living' kind of face right?

[While waiting for taxi, old man comes up and says in Chinese to me]
Old man: Xian seng, ni ting de dong ma? (loosely translated: Mr, do you understand me?) - the sucker probably wanted to ask me something, but I really could not give two fucks.
Simon [in sneering, almost mocking manner, and in ENGLISH]: No.
[Old man emits some sound and goes away]
Lena: If you didn't understand him, how could you reply?
Simon: Well, you didn't want to give her the receipts either...

I am such a caring person.

*Turns out he'll only be back in mid-Jul =(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home