Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Saturday, May 09, 2009

(Much Belated) Bintan

An hour and fourty-five by ferry from Tanah Merah, a completely different world. When we decided to take a break from the city and spend the weekend by the beach, Bintan seemed a logical choice - relatively cheap, accessible and pristine enough. But after failing to find a suitable resort in the Singapore-lite Bintan Lagoons sector (which is actually fenced off from the rest of Bintan Island), we decided to stay at a resort in the "real" Bintan.

Thus we alighted at Tanjung Pinang, a bustling town of 150,000 people, although, regrettably, the constraints of time meant that we did not get to wander around. Instead, we were whisked away in a minivan to our resort. I did, however, make an effort to look out the window and was struck by how different the surroundings were, even though Singapore was less than a couple of hours away. The favoured mode of transport was the scooter, and whole families (of four, baby in tow!) seemed able to balance precariously on them as they zipped about a town that, while bustling, was bereft of any of the brands and icons that have become so much a part of our cityscape. There was no McDonald's, no 7-11s, and certainly no Starbucks Coffee. I know right? How do these people live?

We were initially disappointed by a whimpy wading pool next to the reception, but a much larger pool awaited us at the back of the resort, by the beach.
All meals were consumed within the 'four walls' (couldn't resist guys) of the resort, either at the cafeteria by the pool or at this pavilion at the end of a long bridge, over the lapping waves of the South China Sea.
A vivid memory was eating to our heart's content, at very reasonable prices, and craning our necks to gaze at a sky full of stars, reminiscent of glitter sprinkled liberally over a dark canvas (ok la glitter's not exactly the right word but I'm trying to be all metaphorical here). Unfortunately the I-phone camera (yes these are all taken with my phone) was completely unable to negotiate this particular scene.

The sea was seductively inviting from far, although the beach itself was rocky and full of seaweed. Thus we spent our time lounging by the pool, with the intention of subsequently heading out to one of the outpost islands for snorkeling. Alas, that was not to be, for too much of the former rendered us burnt crispy, wanting to do ANYTHING but get under the sun after the second day. One must never visit a resort without some form of... external pampering, and I succumbed to the temptation of a foot massage cum pedicure, the effects of which are still visible after what, more than a month?All that for $20 sing dollars.

Yeah that's basically it actually! It was a short sojourn... I just really needed a break stat. And this is the first of what I hope to be a series of features on my travels, which I do consider a significant aspect of my life. I do apologize if the writing is somewhat unprofessional, but its been such a long time since I've actually written at length on a topic not related to law, and I really don't have the time or patience to think so everything's pretty much stream-of-consciousness. Hope the pictures make up for it.

Oh I got stung by SOMETHING on the first night which caused my upper lip to swell, giving my already abundant lips even more volume... not sexy AT ALL
A comment only Tong would make: 'Ah, a heavy upper lip, a heavy heart'

Meh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home