Mr Bad Media Karma

A cursory peek into my fucked-up life. Rants and raves, musings and madness - come get your piece of me.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunset

The holidays are almost over - how did I spend them? Not terribly productively, but I don't exactly regret that because I really needed to unwind and well, there's always next year ;-). After the Hong Kong trip, I'm actually very amenable to the idea of working there and uncharacteristically having the urge to brush up on my Mandarin. Rachel and I spoke precious little, and felt like idiots going around and not understanding what was being said to - and about? - us. Which must have struck them as strange because I suspect that many thought we were locals (someone even passed a leaflet as we walked past one of the Civic Party candidates who was just standing in Central during lunch break and speaking on the microphone to the streams of people walking by).

Watched X-Files with Marcus and his friend last night (his mum's company had extra tickets). The movie was actually good! Apart from a relatively minor paranormal aspect, it was more thriller than anything else. Which is good because I'm not a fan of UFO/alien themes. I tend to like movies which I go into without expectations, or with lowered expectations (think Transformers or Iron Man).

Headed to Wala later which was a 'law school minefield' (funnily enough his friend just graduated from NUS Law too...), where we met Marcus'...dad. It was like meet-the-Chins night or something, as we also met his mum and sister at the Cathay. The band playing was the same one Jin, Jorraine and I saw when we were supporting Steve at Gilman Village, they have a single out on radio now apparently. I don't listen to radio so I'll take their word for it. Not sure if it's 'Fiona' but they performed that one too.

Ran a buncha errands today (changed HK$ back to Sing, changed Sing to USD for big big end-of-year holiday, renewed gym membership, had a quickie workout) before meeting Cheryl at Nat Lib for The David Ives Project, a play by local under-25s primarily from AC and VJ, and starring one Jared Kok and one Andrea Loh. I felt that it got better as it progressed, but yeah Jared was very convincing as a washing machine loving lunatic and Andrea was hilarious as a... monkey. But I've learnt to never underestimate her - if the girl can be a barrister at Spinelli's for most of her Summer, she can do anything.

There were quite a number of law school peeps there, and we mingled for a bit before I left to meet my long-time-no-see friend in Orchard.

Meng. Who was indeed not dressed for town. But it was very nice to see him anyway, although it was for the shortest of times, after 10 whole months. As I said before, we'll try to have as much fun as can be had on this little island. Anyways, I need to go have supper now (I got home and then remembered that I had not had dinner, which is a very strange thing to forget, and shows you how preoccupied I've been).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home